Vegetation Inventory & Monitoring Internship – Summer 2019
Location: Malheur National Wildlife Refuge; Princeton, Oregon
Duration: June 15, 2019 – September 15, 2019 (can be adjusted to fit candidate’s schedule)
Salary: $1,200 a month stipend plus housing
Malheur National Wildlife Refuge is looking for a motivated individual to help with the habitat program. Job duties will include (but not limited to) weed mapping and inventory, wet meadow trend surveys, working on habitat restoration projects, installing level logger wells, and submerged aquatic vegetation surveys. Candidate will also cross over into other biology programs intermittently to help with wildlife and aquatic health surveys.
This positions requires a flexible work schedule that varies in the number of hours worked on a daily basis, but not necessarily each day. Starting and stopping times may vary on a daily basis, but not necessarily each day. May include some weekend and some night work.
Housing will be provided by the refuge via one of our bunkhouses at the headquarters. There will be other technicians on refuge for the duration of the season also using refuge housing. Our bunkhouses have secure bedrooms with shared living room, kitchen, and bathrooms.
Refuge headquarters is located approximately 30 miles south of Burns, OR. Within Burns you can find 3 grocery stores, a movie theater, 2 tire stores, 5 gas stations, and a handful of restaurants.
- Student or recent graduate in Ecology, Botany, Wildlife Science, or other closely related fields.
- Ability to work outdoors in variety of weather
- Willing to work in semi-remote areas
- Have valid driver’s license
- Experience driving 4×4 vehicles on rough terrain
- Be able to work as a team or independently
- Working knowledge of GPS
- Basic knowledge of botany and/or ecology
- Able to cohabitate with others in a “bunkhouse” setting
- Effectively communicate with refuge staff, stakeholders, partners, and visitors
- Boating experience (preferred, not required)
- Working knowledge of Arc GIS products (preferred, not required)
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and 3 references to: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org by May 1, 2019